Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Striata...or not??

Posted By: Dave Guest <d.s.guest@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Monday, 6 September 1999, at 8:40 a.m.

Okey dokey folks. I mentioned yesterday that I'd just bought 4 "striata" but I'm still having doubts. Can anyone help me out here?

I've been through the species index a thousand times and can't find an exact match for my new loaches (incidentally they were labelled as "Banded Striata Botias"). To the untrained eye they look similar to some of the striata pictures in the species section but:

1) they have elongated snouts. Not as long as hymenophysa but certainly more pronounced than the usual steep brow of striata.

2) they don't have the typical "triplicate" band pattern of striata but rather have about 13 or 14 evenly spaced narrow bands. Is this too many bands/bars to make them hymenophysa?

3) they're about 2" long, do striatas change they're pattern/body shape as they mature and fill out? When I kept striata before they looked exactly like the fish on the front of the Tetra Catfish and Loaches book but they were a bit bigger than these new fish...

Any ideas anyone? Is there a definitive comparison guide anywhere? Dorsal ray count, tail shape, etc etc?

TIA

Dave

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg