Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Best & Worst Fish To Mix With Botias?

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@onlinetoday.com>
Date: Wednesday, 8 September 1999, at 12:11 p.m.

I was just pondering what fish were best suited to be in a community tank with a horde of Botias, and which fish should not be kept with such.

I've personally had bad experiences in the past attempting to keep anything with long fins with Botias darting everywhere looking for something to feed upon. I learned early on that Bettas and Angelfish were a big no-no in a mostly Botia tank. I'd suspect that Gouramis may experience the same harrassment.

Tonight, I marveled at how many of my Botias had grown, and at the same time began to see damage on a few of my Cory catfish that share the same tank. This doesn't appear to be from nipping, but perhaps from the Botias running into them. I think I'm going to take out my C. sterbai and place them in their own tank to present further damage.

One kind of fish that I currently have that apparently fits right in are SAEs (*true* Siamese Algae Eaters). They are just as fast and darty.

Anyone else out there have any suggestions about best and worst tankmates?

Joe Loach

Messages In This Thread