Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

TERROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Vicky <toewee@sat.net>
Date: Thursday, 9 September 1999, at 12:19 a.m.

My life has been shortened by many years. My large 5" B. modesta got stuck in an ornament! He was half in and half out and could not go either way. His eye spines were at full attention. (They were a full 3/4-1" long!) I never imagined that they would be so big. He looked like he had tusks. I am amazed that they are invisible when not in use. I tried to push with back through and pull him the other way with his tail with no luck. He was so panicked and so was I. I looked for something to cut up the ornament to no avail. Finally, in desperation I used pliers and kept breaking pieces of the ornament until he could wriggle free. I was so afraid I was going to pinch him but I knew he had no chance if I couldn't free him. Once he was loose he immediately retracted his eye spines (I took that as a good sign). He has some pretty good scratches but his breathing seems to have returned to normal. I went ahead and did the scheduled water change and am keeping my fingers crossed that he wasn't too traumatized (sp?). Everyone please keep him in your thoughts and your fingers crossed for this big boy. Thanx for listening to my mad ramblings!!!!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread |