Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: will this work

Posted By: Dr. Momfish <alexp@idirect.com>
Date: Thursday, 9 September 1999, at 10:24 p.m.

I don't know about other people's experiences with blue gouramis, but I had a pair of Cosby blues and they were very aggressive. They spawned etc. but the male would have killed the females in a 54 gallon tank if I didn't save them. Then the two females didn't get along in a 65 gallon, so again, I had to take one out. According to the books these fish are good in a community tank. I think they need a pond. :)

Pearls on the other hand are wonderful, beautiful fish. I have three in the tank with my clown loaches. They are very peaceful, a bit shy if I walk right by the tank and they have never created problems between themselves or any other fish. I highly recommend them. They live for about 8 years.

I keep Dwarf gouramis which are also fine provided that there is only one male. Honey gouramis likewise, although they are sensitive and need excellent water conditions. Both are bubble nest builders and constantly busy doing their thing under the duckweed and watersprite. I don't know about the Honeys yet, but I've got my third generation of Dwarfs growing up right now. They live for about 11/2 to 2 years.

Even though a 45 gallon tank may seem large now, once you've got three clown loaches in there and they grow, the tank won't seem so big anymore. You can add corys if you want, and there is a thread lower down on the forum precisely about that subject.

As to festivums, supposedly they are O.K. as community tank fish and not overly aggressive as cichlids go. I've never kept them, so can't say. They are South Americans though and if you go with Gouramis and Clown loaches you may want to stay on an Asian theme. If so, Harlequin rasboras are a small, peaceful, shoaling, midwater fish that will occupy the zone between that of the clown loaches and the gouramis. Very different from rambunctious clowns and ethereal Pearl Gouramis. Some people recommend Tiger Barbs with Clowns because they get along fine together. However, Gouramis and Tiger Barbs won't mix too well since the barbs can be fin nippers if they are not in a pack of 12 or so.

It all depends on what you want to see when you sit down in front of your tank at the end of a stressful day at work. I prefer to watch a peaceful aquatic scene. Watching my 5 clowns synchro swimming at night is very relaxing.

Regarding the other loaches, there are lots of people on this forum who can help you out.

Messages In This Thread