Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: Zucchini is good food!

Posted By: Noki <treborhcrel@earthlink.net>
Date: Sunday, 12 September 1999, at 6:43 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Nancy, how do you fix the veggies? (Robert)

I slice zucchini (or yellow squash) into a large coin size, then boil it for a little while until it no longer floats. Then I just throw it in. Most fish who have the mouth that can handle zucchini eagerly eat the centers out, even fish that do not come close to eating fruit in their natural habitat! Botia types seem to actively eat the zucchini. Also good for most cichlids especially Malawis (even predators eat it!), "Haps", and "Cichlasomas". Of course, zucchini is good for "Plecostomus", and Synodontis catfish. And, I think it is good for larger barbs, and maybe some large characins too.

Boiling might reduce the nutricious properties of zucchini, but I found this way to be best. First of all so many different fish actively consume it, second, it provides an activity for the fish, third, provides food for the less active or nocturnal fish, and fourth, it disappears in 48 hours. The scavengers eat the half digested vegetable wastes of the other fish (yuck, but they must think it is okay!)

Messages In This Thread