Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Thoughts are good.

Posted By: Martin Thoene <martin.thoene@lakenheath.af.mil>
Date: Tuesday, 14 September 1999, at 1:41 a.m.

In Response To: Size and some other observations (BB)

BB, it's only by dedicated hobbyists like yourself REALLY looking at thier fish that theories develop. The beauty of this Forum is that while most people look at thier fish, most of us here actually SEE things (if you know what I mean).

By being deeply analytical, we discover things about our fish that go over other's heads.

Lately, there's a mass of baby Yoyos around my LFS's, and I've been looking deeply at them. I've noted that in a tank of 50 or so, there's a huge variation in pattern and colouration. Even body shape can be different. Assuming that all the fish were caught live in one area, then I have to hope that they're all the same species, as I would think that any occurence of the 2/3 species within the same area would lead to hybridisation and blurring of the definitive species types. Yet even a pure race will have thier differences.

As children of the same parents may vary in size and build, etc. then it's not unreasonable to expect variations within a shoal of youngsters which are the young of several spawnings (probably). Add to that the regional variations that we've already noted in Clowns, and there's enormous scope for lohochatas that look like almorhaes, and almorhaes that look like rostratas, and................you get the idea.

What I basically mean is that whilst there will be "classic" examples of each of the 3 species, there will probably be extremes that deviate towards looking more like one of the other species.

Or am I just thinking too much?

Martin.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.