Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

nigrolineatus et al.

Posted By: Thomas b waltzek <waltzek@neuro.fsu.edu>
Date: Thursday, 3 September 1998, at 5:01 p.m.

Alright here's the scoop. There are apparently 43 species of the subfamily botiinae (meaning we have not seen a lot but a few are the beautiful leptobotia species). In regards to nigrolineatus, these guys as others have speculated do in fact look very similiar to sidth. However, the author (kottelat-expert on the family cobitidae et al.) has a paper although not the original description of nigrolineatus, it however does show 3 photos of this wonderful species. He claims (and reading his stuff is very convincing-he's published everywhere!) that sidthimunki IN THE WILD obtains SL of up to 40 mm (less than 2"). Now mine are definitely sidth. and not nigrolineatus and they are around the size he mentions. However, this does not mean that these fish will not grow larger if given the chance (many fish grow throughout there life and the environment plays a large role in limiting growth). It seems to me that under stable conditions with an excess of food and no competiton (such as in an aquarium) than these guys could get larger than this. On the board nearly everybody has stated that they've heard reports or seen? (who saw them?) sidth. being imported of nearly 4" including myself. However, I have never seen these jumbo sidth? and would like to pose the following question/statement: could these jumbos be nigrolineatus? I've never seen photos of sidths. around 4" (but it can be hard to tell from a photo). However, the best evidence of this theory comes from Kottelat in which he states that this species is easily confused yet regonisable from sidth. by the following features: larger up to at least 72 mm, more body bans 8-10 vs. 5-8 in sidth., darker coloration, and narrower middorsal stripe. Now these characters are fine and dandy but when you see the photo I think you'll see the clear resembelance but also see the major differences in color. The author also states as has JD's sources that they are collected as aquarium fishes. Anyway, remember the guy (sorry guy) that posted something like "Do I have sidth?" I've been wondering if his first 4" fish was not a sidth. but a nigrolineatus. Anyway, anybody with large sidth. at home or photos please let us know. Enough of that, I've also got new photos of caudipunctata, helodes (finally found a definitive answer that this is not the same as hymenophysa), 2 good eos photos, pulchra and longiventralis (chinese species of the subgenus sinibotia-again isn't taxonomy a bitch). As I mentioned before recently got an article with splendida. The photo is in color but I got a black/white version from the holding library but its beauty still shines through. Lastly, I also have about 10 other species with excellent handrawings of other neat species of Botia. I'll be sending photos to Jeff as soon as I figure the whole scanner thing out since if I wait until I get a webpage than most of us may already be dead. In the mean time I'm sending JD copies of what I've found recently. If others want this stuff than we'll start a info. group. I know I'd love to get hold of the color photos of the stuff martin is sending to Jeff (how's that going martin/jeff?) as well as the clown loach breeding article. Anyway, some of the recent stuff has gut analysis (what they are feeding on) and biotope-like info. that I bet everybody would like. One final thing, I've found it easy to get chinese, vietnamese, and other SE Asian info. but all the Indian lit. has been more diffucult (many sources but I haven't got any pics yet). Thus I still haven't seen birdi, dayi, or almorhae except listed in books and under the collections of large icthyology institutions. Ken any suggestions on good books with actual photos or other hints for these mysterious species? Thanks all, I hope your as excited about all this as I am -Tom

Messages In This Thread