Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

BB, what can I say!?

Posted By: Dave Guest <d.s.guest@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Wednesday, 15 September 1999, at 6:50 a.m.

In Response To: Pretty standard stuff.... (BB)

You're a veritable goldmine of information. That post was something else and I'm not one to argue with your conclusions. Seems the two taxonomic experts that I've encountered on here (you and Hans) have both concluded that what I saw was longidorsalis. I think the absence of the saddle shaped bands behind the dorsal fin confirms it.

There is just one thing though, the picture you gave a link to shows a fish of distinctly morleti body-shape (arched back). The fish I saw was about 2" and was more elongate than the real skunk that they were sharing a tank with. Does this mean anything? Regional variation? Young specimen yet to fill-out and acquire the skunk shape? Sounds like the fish that Mike has as well. The only way we'll conclude this I think is for me to hopefully purchase the fish and get some photos of it! More on this on Saturday, keep your fingers crossed that no other loach-lover has visited that store this week :-)

Now for your penultimate paragraph. A Mergus Atlas pertaining to loaches!!!!! Ohmygod!! When's it due? I've gotta have it! I'm already planning my Christmas list which is getting pretty chunky already with Aquarium Atlas 4 and 5, Cichlid Atlas 1 and the Catfish Atlas... hey, there's a thought. Maybe the Catfish Atlas will have a loach section? I tried learning German once but my teacher was a sex-fiend who liked to flash her stocking tops and brush up against you in the stationary cupboard...not a pleasant experience if you've seen her!!

And your last paragraph... sorry but I'm a bit of a philistine when it comes to tank capacity calculations as well... the only formula I know is cubic feet * 6.23 which gives capacity in *our* gallons. To put the final nail in my coffin, I don't know whether *our* gallons are the one's called metric or imperial... :) Its all just a technicality to me and I spend all of my working day sorting out technical problems so that's where my attention to specifics ends... :-)

Dave

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by