Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Longidorsalis... come to daddy!!

Posted By: Dave Guest <d.s.guest@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Sunday, 19 September 1999, at 12:21 a.m.

Howdy folks,

Well I followed BB's advice and walked, not ran, back to last week's store and politely asked for the skunks without stripes. Yup, I got me 2 botia longidorsalis (for want of a better name :).

I'll spare you the story of the net stabbing display I had to endure...or the gems of information that were uttered by the sales clerk, although this one did amuse me: To the fish, "Come on little fishies, I know you're fast but I'm gonna catch yoooooo".

So they've gone in with my 4 hymenophysa and almost succeeded in evicting 3 of them from their favourite cave! I was having kittens while the bag floated as the hymens were circling like sharks...alas it wasn't to be, these "longi"s really know how to look after themselves it seems. (must be related to skunks :)

Further to my earlier observations on these fish (which were from memory) I can now confirm that they are about 45mm SL, have "regular" skunk body colour, no dorsal stripe but a single spot on the caudal peduncle. They also seem to have very very faint stripes on their flanks, these being only slightly discernable when the fish sit at the correct angle. The dorsal fin has 9 rays and all the fins (including the caudal) appear to be tinted pale orange or pink (I believe this colouration will increase when they've settled in). They are agressive towards each other and the larger hymenophysas although I do not believe the level of agression is likely to result in injury, its more of a "get out of my personal space" kind of thing. They still do not appear to have a "long dorsal" but again I reckon they may "fill out" once they start getting fed regularly.

So my warm thanks go to Hans, BB, and Mike, for their observations/research/expertise on identifying these fish over the past week or so. Unless I have a change of heart, or they pass the 49mm mark, I'm satisfied that these are longidorsalis and needless to say I'm extremely pleased with my new purchases.

While I'm here I'd also like to say a big thanks to all the regulars on LOL who have rekindled my fire for loaches over the couple of months I've been here! To think 3 weeks ago I only horsefaces and now I have hymenophysa, rostrata, sidthimunki and longidorsalis! Not bad going by anyone's standards I reckon.

Dave

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.

</