Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Pictures at an Exhibition

Posted By: martin thoene <martin.thoene@lakenheath.af.mil>
Date: Friday, 4 September 1998, at 6:13 p.m.

Hi all,

it's great that everyone has enjoyed the pics I sent in so much. I thought you all would! Max Gibbs is an excellent photographer. I've got more where they came from. I will be sending Jeff some scans from my Sterba book, which has many excellent, accurate black & white drawings. If anyone has the hots for coolies, there's a whole page showing all the species next to one another, which really highlights the differences.

I thought the two B. superciliaris pics would create comment. They look very different. I think the first one is a juvenile, and the second an adult. What a great looking fish. I know from snippets I've read over the years that they are a BAAAD fish. But as ever, I question these reports because they never state the conditions that the fish which prompted the judgement was kept in. If it was a single specimen, kept in a community of other species, I could see a problem. There aren't really any BAD fish, just misunderstood fish. Some Botia ARE more aggressive than others, but this is usually territorial protection inspired violence.This tends to be lessened in the prescence of others of the same species, particularly in shoaling species, where the aggression is diffused.

WHICH beggars the question ARE all Botias shoalers?

Sooooo......chew over that question for a while. I'm out of here till the 14th!

Everybody in the USA, have a great Loach Day.....er, sorry LABOUR DAY weekend.

Martin.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.