Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Berdmorei v. Beauforti

Posted By: Nancy <naboden@aol.com>
Date: Monday, 20 September 1999, at 8:42 a.m.

This is the information that I had promised BB, from Braz Walker's book, "Sharks and Loaches". I decided to post it here, in hopes that it might be helpful to someone else as well. BB, I hope you don't mind.

BOTIA BERDMOREI (Blyth, 1860) Berdmore's loach

Berdmore's loach, ranging from Burma to Thailand is considered by H.M.Smith to probably be a geographic variation or other normal variation of Botia hymenophysa, which is a variable species. Its importance to the aquarium is because of its quite different appearance in comparison to the tiger loach. Day noted earlier the great similarity between B. berdmorei and B. hymenophysa, citing the differences as being in the dorsal fin, with 13-15 branched rays for B. berdmorei and 11-13 for B. hymenophysa, plus differences in color. The dorsal