Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: if it were renamed Practical Loach Keeping...

Posted By: Martin Thoene <martin.thoene@lakenheath.af.mil>
Date: Wednesday, 22 September 1999, at 4:56 p.m.

In Response To: if it were renamed Practical Loach Keeping... (Dave Guest)

Dave, if she writes that then I WILL be on the phone!

Actually, I got the initial impetus for the design from a reader's design for a River Tank in PFK. Like most stuff, they've re-hashed the basic design principal for a few bits on fast-water fish. Every time, it's big powerheads mounted lower than normal on an undergravel filter.

My innovation (as far as I'm aware nobody's published anything on the idea) was to use the principle of a tubular U/G, but without any holes, to connect to intake tubes covered in foam elements for filtration. This gives primarily a uni-directional flow to the tank.

Maybe I could pre-empt any pilfering, by sending them an article on the subject? Trouble is they've called out for reader's articles ages back, then they've sat on the one I submitted since January 1997! Hardly gives you the incentive does it?

Martin.

Messages In This Thread