Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Red 5 (standing by...)

Posted By: Steve Burton <sdburton@hotmail.com>
Date: Friday, 24 September 1999, at 5:06 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Are you thinking what I think you're thinking? (BB)

I'm pretty sure you're right about the pressure issue - if we were to induce the pressures associated with deep diving (I don't know a great deal about diving, so I'm putting on asbestos suit) of 100m, that's 10 atmospheres worth of pressure - is it 1 atmos. per 10m depth? I'd put money on the bag bursting before we can start thinking of the pressures necessary to create those effects. Is the fish bagged and oxygen bubbled thru the water, or is the gas used to just inflate the bag, and let the fish help itself? Fish are certainly not adapted to breathing pure O2, so maybe it just overwhelms them. Is the haemorraging effect immediate upon release into its new home, or does it occur after a period (I can't remember)

Maybe the fish just don't like it, and this is their way of showing their displeasure!

Steves $.02

Messages In This Thread