Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Water Quality For The Fishes We Keep And Love

Posted By: Thomas b waltzek <waltzek@neuro.fsu.edu>
Date: Monday, 7 September 1998, at 7:27 p.m.

Just wanted to stimulate conversation about water quality as a result of Alistars's posts. I think in a perfect world everyone of our tanks would perfectly match the water quality of the habitat of the fishes we keep (makes sense right, fishes have evolved -oouch the E. word, don't mean to offend-in response to the environmental conditions that they are exposed). This is nothing profound. I personally try (often at least) to recreate as closely as possible the environment in which a fish is found (this is certainly not easy since it can require equipment, time, and the necessary info assuming this info is known and correct). This is the philosophy of many extremely successful aquarists (described in books such as "The optimum Aquarium", The Natural Aquarium? By Amano ?, biotope books pub. by TFH, breeders of hard to breed species, et al. I know everyone does not ahve the time and interest to undertake this (luckily, most tropicals are extr. adaptable), but it can be a great deal of fun. It just seems that your fish could live longer, show true behaviors, be more beautiful, breed easier producing larger broods, and be genrally easier to maintain (less parasite outbreaks) under such conditions-Tom

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.