Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: In that case,...

Posted By: Wintek <wintek@aol.com>
Date: Wednesday, 6 October 1999, at 12:14 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Can you ask you source... (BB)

Hello BB

I'll be sure to have the tops of my bags spun to the right!!

At any rate, for our purposes the oxygen that arrives at the LFS in a pressurized (2000 psi!) cylinder is the same. O2 does come in different grades, per different specifications, for use in different applications, yet all grades are virtually pure O2, we'd never be able to tell the difference.

The final concentration of O2 in the bag will be quite variable. Will the fish be able to tell the difference between 40% and 80% O2 (two to four times the nominal)? I have no idea!

Does the fish care that there is relatively less nitrogen in the bag? I wouldn't think so. N2 is quite inert, and isn't used biologically. I don't know what the solubility of N2 is in water, but my *guess* is that it would remain saturated even with a lower percentage of N2 above the water column.

I don't know what O2 toxicity is, there is mention of it on the web. So the problem may be just that. I lean away from that thinking because then I'd expect all fish to have adverse reactions to O2 packaging, and this is not the case.

Dunno if I've contributed anything :(

Wintek

Messages In This Thread