Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Striata: Friend or Foe?

Posted By: Dave Guest <d.s.guest@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Thursday, 7 October 1999, at 6:22 a.m.

Hi folks,

I've read a lot of the messages on here, past and present, and the overwhelming majority imply that botia striata is a peaceful schooling loach. Has anyone ever experienced the opposite of this behaviour as they get bigger and older?

The 4 that I purchased at the weekend have settled in well but are certainly not peaceful schoolers. They're not particularly agressive either but they do not tolerate each other's company very well. At best they'll sit two to a cave but at opposite ends and if they ever come into close contact the fins get flared and the clicking/head flicking starts. They've even chased the praecox rainbows around a couple of times.

So is this normal behaviour for "peaceful" striatas? Is it because they're larger than the usual purchase size and are getting territorial in their advanced age? I got the tape out last night to get a rough measurement and the smallest is about 2.75", the largest just over 3". They're both larger and more agressive than the 4 hymenophysas in my other tank.

Can anyone who's kept these shed any light on the subject?

Cheers, Dave

Messages In This Thread