Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Dead fish

Posted By: Withnell <satter38@aol.com>
Date: Saturday, 9 October 1999, at 10:34 p.m.

I just lost my Gasteromyzon :( Due to LFS tank labeling, I was never sure of the species; it is probably what's commonly called a Chinese Hill Stream Loach.

My husband got it for me several months ago, and it never showed the slightest distress until it upped and died on me this evening. There was no sign of bloating. The little body showed no sign of fungus or other externally-visible disease. The fins were in great shape. The eyes were still clear. It had lost the coloring in the mid-section of its body, but I had seen NO sign of paling or discoloration as late a 5 hours before it died.

It had no trouble competing for food -- he dove in under the clowns and I even saw him stare down the 8+ inch pleco from atop an algae disk. It grew from less than 1.5 cm to a length just over 2 cm. I thought this was a fish that was thriving! <