Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Mouse botia???

Posted By: Steve Burton <sdburton@hotmail.com>
Date: Monday, 18 October 1999, at 8:19 a.m.

Anyone heard of this? I found it in a fish-shop on the way to friends on saturday. It was in a tank of modestas, it looked like a modesta, except it was distinctly more elongated than a modesta (not as tall), and the head was more pointed (not as rounded), body length was about 2.5 - 3". The body colour was a mousy brown, no discernible markings except for a bar on the caudal peduncle, and had orange colouration on the caudal fin. It was priced at GBP1.90, and was able to stand up to the modestas, sometimes even pushing them out the way. There were no other fish in the tank except modestas and this single specimen. Is this a modesta displaying its version of greying out, a sub-species, or something new (to me, at least).

I'm planning to go back sometime soon to buy some "stripy string" fish (k