Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Now I've got my own Big Blue disaster.

Posted By: Martin Thoene <martin.thoene@lakenheath.af.mil>
Date: Monday, 25 October 1999, at 7:21 p.m.

I was doing water changes on Sunday when my gorgeous suspected Female modesta suddenly zoomed out of a rock cave and took my breath away.

The poor fish has the most awful looking area along it's whole back. The dorsal is all shredded and almost missing. It looks as if the fish has been burned by the heater, but there's no way that could happen, due to where it's placed. Anyway, the fish would have to be stupid to let that happen as there's no possibility for it to get trapped against it.

I managed to catch it after dismantling the rock caves, and place it in a small Q-tank with a small internal powerfilter. On closer inspection it looks as if the skin has just dissolved over the left side of the back and today the entire right side skin covering the area just peeled back and fell off. There's evidence of minor fungal invasion at the edges and on some of the other fins, so I've used a broad spectrum fungus treatment that I just happened to have in the cupboard. It's years old, but I needeed to do something quickly.

Today, the fish is still laying on it's side, and is suprisingly well-coloured, but the entire back is red-raw looking. I almost feel I should put this fish out of it's misery, but I just get the impression that I should give it a chance to recover. I doubt that it will ever regain it's former glory, but these seem to be tougher than we give them credit for.

I wish I knew how this started. It may have been an infected wound, I don't know. The trouble with fish that like to hide is sometimes you may catch this sort of thing too late to do any good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Martin.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.