Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Clickety-Click, 47 ....

Posted By: Definitely Steve! <sdburton@hotmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 26 October 1999, at 11:51 a.m.

Last night when I fed my fish some flake and algae wafers, I heard my clown loach clicking away, but not in the "normal" way. The normal way as far as I can describe it would be like flicking a piece of gravel at glass, and can be heard across the room. The clicking while they were eating was definitely lower in volume, and sounded like a fingernail drummed on a plastic lunchbox (quite muffled). The thing that amazed me as I sat and watched them eating was that when they took a bite at the wafer, the wafer moved much more than I would expect it to. Sometimes they didn't even make contact with the wafer and it still moved, presumably because of the change in the water pressure accompanying the click. Would this be an attempt to "stun" or disorientate their food, using the piscine equivalent of a stun grenade?

Thomas, did you manage to get hold of a hydrophone, or do any recordings of clicking loaches?

Steve

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.