Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: Clickety-Click, 26 ....

Posted By: Dave Guest <d.s.guest@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Wednesday, 27 October 1999, at 5:03 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Clickety-Click, 47 .... (Mike Ophir)

So you've never heard a botia make that clicking noise Mike?

I know its been discussed in depth before on here but my personal opinion is that the clicking noise is an act of agression. I've heard it in many different botia sp. but there's always one of two things happening when they do it.

No. 1) Two or more botias are sparring. This I heard just a couple of weeks ago when those two longidorsalis I briefly owned were fighting the hymenophysas over territory.

No. 2) There is a hard, solid, imposing food item in the tank. Algae wafers and catfish tablets in my case. The presence of either of these is a guarantee of a symphony of clicks from all botias within a couple of inches of the tablet. I've never heard them clicking at flakes or frozen food apart from when they've had a side-swipe at each other which again links to agression.

The source and effect of these clicks I have no idea about. Well I have ideas but they've all been discussed previously.

Dave

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.