Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Botia Tank?

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@gte.net>
Date: Saturday, 3 October 1998, at 6:02 p.m.

I remember seeing the SE Asian exhibit at the Vancouver Aquarium (B.C., Canada). This was years ago (over 10?), when I was not aware of the number of Botias there are via this Board. However, I was still disappointed that they had only very common species in the exhibit (tank). This included Sharks (Rainbow or Red-tailed? It was one species. Can't remember which one), also Clowns, Skunks, and B. modesta. Pretty bland in my book. I mean, *I* had B. striatas and Yo Yos at the time.

It raised a point for me though, and that was concerning Botia community tanks. Can you mix aggressive, semi-aggressive, and community tank Botias together in a "Botia Cocktail?" I don't mean just a few species together. I'm referring to many more than that. I wonder if it would work? The concept would be like African Cichlid tanks I've seen where territorial behavior is spread out throughout the community. The problems that I've had with the more aggressive Botia species in the past have been associated with their relationship with non-Botia species sharing the same tank.

Also, what should the shape of a Botia-specific tank look like? Should it be only 12-14" tall? My loaches don't spend much time in the mid to upper zones of the tank.

Any thoughts about these issues?

Joe Loach

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg