Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Oddball Loach

Posted By: Martin Thoene <martin.thoene@lakenheath.af.mil>
Date: Friday, 9 October 1998, at 2:41 p.m.

OK people, here's a weird one for you. I go into one of my LFS the other day as I'd heard rumours that they had some loaches in. Sure did! 1 1/4" clowns for 2.95(pounds, remember!), 1 3/4" Yoyo's at 3.95 and loads of kuhlis at .95 each or 4.50 for 5. This last price got my attention and I decided I needed some of the little guys in my life again, so started my pre-purchase observation I always do, checking for disease and general health and vigour. THEN I SEE IT! Something that is NOT a kuhli. One of those wonderful oddballs that sneaks in occassionaly with wild-caught fish. Now a picture is worth a thousand words so I've sent Jeff a drawing of it in case anybody can ID it (Ken?). It's 2" long, as slim as a kuhli, and hangs near the bottom, but swims around actively at night (yes, of course I bought it!). The bulge in the body is only there when it's belly is full, otherwise it's real slim. It moves serpentine-fashion, and will sit on it's lower fins and look around with it's head. Main body colour is kinda dark B. modesta type blue/grey, with a gold strpe all the way along the back. Fins are clear, and the dorsal waves like a knife-fish, but does not seem to have anything to do with motion. It has a classic kuhli/dojo type head, so I believe it is a loach, anybody got any ideas? I said to the shopkeeper if he could catch it, I'd have it and 9 kuhlis at that price (you gotta try), and he agreed. Thing was when I got home and checked, I had Mr. Oddball and 10 kuhlis, so effectively he was FREE! ...........SWEeeeeet!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.