Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

A River Runs Through It.

Posted By: Martin Thoene <martin.thoene@lakenheath.af.mil>
Date: Friday, 9 October 1998, at 3:11 p.m.

I've had this design in my head for a uni-directional flow river/stream tank for quite a while now and it's definitely going to happen in one of my recently aquired second-hand tanks. I've sent Jeff a picture of the design for attachment which will clarify the description as soon as he can hook it up.

Main components are two big powerheads for the water movement, and a sufficiently long tank to give a reasonable distance of flow. Most filtration systems and aeration within our tanks create a tumbling, mixing effect in the water, but don't give flow in only one direction.

The theory behind my design is to mount the powerheads at low height on pipework connected to the other end of the tank, under the substrate, to intakes made from perforated pipe of the same type, sleeved with foam filter inserts, such as used in many popular internal filters. I've proposed 4 of these to try and promote ease of water intake to the powerheads. The pipework is all interconnected to provide a peripheral frame around the bottom for stability and allow any imbalances in powerhead strength to even out. The powerheads and intake foams can be sheilded from view by strategically placed decor. Biological filtration from the foam inserts would probably be adequate for a few Hillstream Loaches,but greedy Botias could be provided additional filtration as long as intakes and returns are positioned so as not to detract from the flow effect created by the powerheads. Ultimate strength of the powerheads required would depend on exactly what you wanted to keep, the botias might not like a maelstrom of water, yet Gastromyzon, etc. might actually benefit from the addition of venturis on the pump outlets to blast air into the water, or you could use powerheads that incorporate this facility. Additional aeration could be used as long as adds to the flow, not counteracts it.Decor should provide places for the fish to escape into calmer water and take a rest.

I'd love to hear any thoughts on this design. Am I on the right track?

........Martin.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.