Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: Clown loach with ick

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@gte.net>
Date: Monday, 12 October 1998, at 3:11 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Clown loach with ick (Liza)

Remember, use *rock salt*. It's the stuff you make ice cream with. Table salt is a tricky thing. I just avoid it altogether, and don't recommend it to anyone else.

*My opinion* is that iodine is just fine for fish. (I've used iodine to dab wounds on fish with a Q-tip many times in the past. All of those fish lived.) So, *I believe* that iodized salt is okay to use. *HOWEVER*, beware of the anti-caking agent used in table salt! Read the label. If "Yellow Prussiate of Soda" is used, DO NOT USE IT! It can and will kill fish. It's cyanide! In the U.S., it has been approved by the FDA because it's used in a "small amount." However, I do know of people that have used it and killed their Clowns. If the anti-caking agent is "sodium silicoaluminate," it's okay to use. ...BUT remember, I only recommend using *rock salt*. :-)

Joe Loach

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.