Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Do clowns really grow slowly?

Posted By: Ken Childs <kjchilds@aol.com>
Date: Monday, 12 October 1998, at 5:22 p.m.

I've seen this mentioned in many books and on many posts in this forum but is it really true? I don't think it is. How many of you can devote the necessary resources to a small school of these beauties? I would think a tank of about 1000 gallons would do nicely. Another thing to look at is the clown is one of the bulkiest of the loaches. We tend to measure growth in length but a fish shaped as the clown may double in weight with less than 1" of growth. Look at the pic of the 8.5" clown on LOL and you can see how deep the body can get on the big fish. Compare this to other pics of clowns on the page. This fish has some girth! I'm stating all this beause I don't like to hear negatives about one of my favourite fish. The only bad thing I can say about clowns is that they m