Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Salt in an aquarium

Posted By: Alistair <alistair.mckerr3@virgin.net>
Date: Tuesday, 13 October 1998, at 8:34 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Clown loach with ick (Liza)

As far as I have been able to find out a weak salt water solution has a *mild* antiseptic effect in addition to promoting the growth of the natural slime coat a fish produces. The healthy slime coat helps prevent parasitic infection and the mild antiseptic helps heal any open or growing cysts from the ich parasite. Salt is also mildly toxic in its own right to some parasites.

My experience of plants is that they are much more sensitive to the amount of light (look for the measure of lumens per sq metre) than salt. To create enough light for natural plants I had to make the tank too bright, rebuild the hood to hold up to 3+ tubes, or make the tank too overgrown to be able to see my clowns. I have gone for a more "rocky" tyle tank with some more authentic looking plastic plants. This way I can see my loaches perform (and how these new ones love to perform!) and I don't have any dying plants. Its a choice I made that you may not want to. If you want more info on lighting have a look at the info page @ http://www.thekrib.com. There is a lot of info on lighting & plants - enough to make you see double in no time! This is one of the reasons I took the easy route.

I also keep an Angel, danios and cory cats in the same slightly salty tank @ 82F and everyone seems very happy. The antics of the clowns and the Angel are quite comical at times. Sounds like you might have caught the ick in time. Good luck.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer wi