Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Acid

Posted By: Craig D'Orsay <craigd@attcanada.net>
Date: Tuesday, 3 November 1998, at 7:59 a.m.

I've been using sulfuric acid to drop the pH in my tank for the last 8 months or so, and my question is: is this safe (ie: no adverse side effects) for loaches and fish in general? I mix my water in 5gal buckets, adjust the pH with the acid, and let sit for at least a week or two before adding to my tank.

33gal moderately planted tank w/java fern, water sprite, drift wood, bog wood, rocks and caves. Inhabited by 5 clowns, 5 striata, 4 kuhli, 1 Pangio javanicus (black kuhli), 2 ottos, 1 banjo cat, a red tailed shark, 2 zebra danieos, and a lone bloodfin tetra. To filter, there's an UGF/powerhead, and a carbon/sponge element waterfall type filter. Will the carbon pad filter affect the adjusted water?

My tap (well) water is in the high 7's with a high buffer (kH) at the tap, but there's a green sand filter, a carbon filter, and a salt ion