Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Loach identity

Posted By: Ken <kwright@som.llu.edu>
Date: Thursday, 12 November 1998, at 12:02 a.m.

I recently purchased my first loach. It is obviously a botia, but I am confused between B. modesta, B. lecontei and B. horae. It has features of all of them, but does not exactly fit any of the descriptions given in Loaches ON-Line. They called it a "blue loach or blue botia" at the store (someone purchased it for me), but it is actually a sort of deep pink/gray color. There is a prominent black band at the base of the tail. The caudal fin is bright yellow, and there are very pail vertical stripes along the flanks (these are nearly invisible)

My 60-gallon tank was overrun with snails, but since introducing this Botia, I'm hardpressed to find a single snail. The fish is quite reclusive, although it occasionally comes out and swims about actively. However, it is difficult for me to get a close-up view because