Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

proper substrate for clowns

Posted By: Thaddaeus <Thadman1@aol.com>
Date: Sunday, 13 December 1998, at 7:35 p.m.

I have a 29 gallon community tank (I plan on getting a bigger one) and when I first set it up I commited the sin of all aquarium sins by getting the all evil and diabolical colored gravel (gasp!). That was about six months ago. I am now planning on getting a couple of clown loaches and was wondering what kind of substrate they prefer, at first I thought sand, but I've heard sand can be a real hassle for external power filters so I would kind of shy away from buying it unless totally necessary. Also, I was wondering, if the sand is not necassary, could I put the new substrate on top of the 10 lbs. of colored stuff by putting down limestone (or whatever kind of stone it is they sell in the LFS) plates over the colored stuff, then putting down the new substrate on top, or something to tha