Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Need Help ID'ing a Botia

Posted By: Cindy <foremcc@louisville.stortek.com>
Date: Monday, 14 December 1998, at 5:18 p.m.

I've been going through this website a great deal recently and have found it to be extremely helpful, so I was hoping I might get some advice with a problem we've encountered with our loaches. We've got a 44g tank which has basically become our loach tank, mostly because they all seem to enjoy the setup, logs, plants and lots of rock caves. We've got 6 clowns of various sizes, 3 painted botia, and 3 small yoyo loaches plus a pair of mollies from the original setup. Or I should say had 3 small yoyo's, which leads to our problem. I'm trying to find out what type of botia the painted botia are in reality. The LFS claims this is their common name, that they are not dyed, and they are exported from S. America. In actuality they aren't really that colorful. The closest description I have found so far is the orange-finned loach, except these guys are a lot sleeker and slinkier, generally grey in color with a little darker area of grey at the base of the tail and very pale yellowish fins and tail. They basically took over all of the rock caves from the clowns when they entered the tank and seem to really enjoy sneaking around and goosing the clowns at every opportunity. They do a lot of clicking when they get really rowdy. Anyway, at first we thought they were just mischievous, but then we started to notice fish missing. At first it was some mollie babies, then an adult guppy, and most recently one of the small yoyo's. I'd really like to nail down what I can expect from these guys before anything else disappears. I've already gone through this website as well as the 10-pound fish encyclopedia and no luck yet. All the fish in this tank are fed flake food twice a day, freeze-dried tubifex worms and live snails about twice a week, so I don't think they're hungry. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has any experience with painted botia or knows what they really are. Thanks, Cindy

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.