Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Unknown Loach

Posted By: Bob Eimstad <rbeimstad@netscape.net>
Date: Friday, 8 January 1999, at 12:14 a.m.

Six months ago I inherited a loach from a woman leaving town. She did not know the name. I would like to identify it to make sure I am caring for it properly but haven't found it in books or "Loaches on line".

Description: 6 inches in length, body is approximately 7/8 inches high and 3/8 inches thick. Has a shallow groove running the length of the body on each side. Dark reddish brown and black speckled, very handsome Eel like shape with tail fin not significantly wider than the body. Buries in sand for extended periods, other times very active, swimming the length of the tank repeatedly. Goes to the top and takes air occassionally. In fact, I have seen it pass gas after some body tremors!

Can anyone help me identify this fish?