Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Two questions for the experts

Posted By: Alistair <alistair.mckerr@hotmail.com>
Date: Thursday, 7 January 1999, at 5:09 p.m.

1. The age old pH problem. My water company has changed the way they treat our water and the normal pH is not 7.6-7.8 I was using a product called Proper ph6.5 to treat the water beefore adding it the the tank but have traced the explosion in algae growth to the phosphoric acid in the treatment raising the phosphate level sky high (10+ppm). I am getting this under control using a pouch of Hagen's Phos-zorb, but I can't help feeling that each time I tweak something another thing will go wrong (ever tried squeezing a balloon?). Any ideas? I was going to add peat fibres to my filter. My clowns need ph6.5, but seem happy a the moment (for some reason the tank pH is about 7.2 at the moment and I cannot figure out why). Any bright ideas?

2. I have just found two yo-yos in my one of my lfs's just had to buy them. They will live in my Q-tank for at least the next 3 weeks (no pH problem there despite the water coming from the same source!). The details I have found are a little patchy, so do I need more than 2? Apart from that they seem to need the same conditions as Clowns - is that right? Finally one book I read claims they can be agressive. Is that right?

OK, I know its more than 2 questions, but who's counting?

Alistair.

Messages In This Thread