Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

ecological significance of sound production

Posted By: tom w. <waltzek@neuro.fsu.edu>
Date: Friday, 15 January 1999, at 2:31 a.m.

I wanted to speculate on the ecological ramifications of sound production in botias and other fish in general. I find it intersting that botias generate noise as they are feeding. At one level this is normal as bone and muscle of the feeding aparatus move sound is often produced in a variety of fishes. However, does this same noise also signal to other fish to stay away I'm eating? (growl of the fish world). Secondly, these noises are certainly produced during social interactions as we have nearly all have heard in 1 species of botia or another. This is also not unique to botias (excellent extra example being marine toadfish). However, there seems to be quite a few different social scenarios in which these sounds are produced such a