Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

My head hurts, but we've got a database...

Posted By: Jeff Shafer - Webmaster <webmaster@aquaweb.pair.com>
Date: Sunday, 17 January 1999, at 1:24 a.m.

Thank goodness for three day weekends! Without them I couldn't have spent the last eight hours working on the ick database. Thanks, Alistair, for your offer of code, and the description of how it would be done. That's exactly what I've done here, and I never could have found an existing (free) script online without knowing to search for a "flat file" database. It was actually pretty easy to set up (whoever made the code available had good documentation), but the large number of variables we're collecting made the setup very lengthy. If I hadn't found the script, I would have taken you up on your offer, but I would have felt guilty sending him such a lenthy data definition.

Basically, the form sends its output to a database on the server. Once on the server, it can be searched and viewed online, although the output is just straight, with no special formatting, which will make for an imposing page once we've got some data! (Test it and you'll see what I mean) But, I'll just add a link to the page so that anyone can download the database anytime. Just open the file in Excel or Access, and away you go! I'll post some instructions for Excel, it's straightforword enough. If someone who has Access could try, that would be great. In Excel, each data field is its own column, and we probably can fancy things up with Macro's and such once some data is collected.

Could everyone try putting in test data now? Just select random options, and try to fill the fields with as big of values as people should normally put. I want to make sure that I haven't done something stupid, like limit the size of the box that stores tank size to one digit, or something like that! Once we've got some fake test entries, I'll post the download link and Excel instructions, so we can test that stage of the process. Right now I'm going to bed!

Thank for everyone's help,

Jeff

Try the database!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.