Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Clown Still Alive.

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@wans.net>
Date: Tuesday, 19 January 1999, at 10:13 p.m.

On October 2, I picked up a 5-6" Clown for $25.00. A great price. It's the same size as the other two that I've had for over ten years. The fish didn't adapt very well. It stopped eating entirely and began to hollow out. I don't know why this happened...perhaps some degree of shock due to transfer, a problem the fish had from previous transfers, or something else. I isolated the fish in my 20 long Q/hospital tank and treated it with Maracyn II for five days. The fish still wouldn't eat. Taking a shot in the dark, I repeated the treatment for another five days and returned the fish to the main aquarium. I had little hope of the fish lasting more than a week or two. After a few days, I noticed that the fish was picking at bits of food, but it was rather nonchalant in it's efforts...rather random in where it would "peck" -- nothing like the chief Clown in my tank ("Bull" will sniff out the food and clean it up in no time flat!). Even with this improvement, I expected to loose the fish.

Well, October 2 was a few months back, and the fish still looks to be in the same condition. It is not a "good eater." It picks around without much effort. However, it doesn't appear to have lost any additional weight. I've never encountered this type of behavior in a Clown. Perhaps it's just "slow?" The other two can eat circles around this one. I'm just glad it's still alive...certainly not thriving...but it now appears to be holding it's own and maintaining itself. Interesting.

Joe Loach

Messages In This Thread