Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Observations of Loach Clicks

Posted By: Michael Ophir <ophir@wn.net>
Date: Wednesday, 20 January 1999, at 9:57 p.m.

All of these sound production posts have got me thinking. I have observing my loaches very closely the past couple of days. Just a thought as someone else here mentioned maybe the loach clicks are a type of communication between the specific species or between different loaches, just like the whales do. But I have noticed that my Botia Modestas have been making louder and longer clicks than my Botia Morleti for example. My Botia Dario makes very faint clicks and extremly short. I have also noticed that one of my smaller clowns makes lighter clicks than the adults which make low clicks. Sometimes when my Skunk loaches and Orange Finned loaches are swimming together they make sounds that sound like a chipmink or rat. I must say that the sounds these loaches make are very interesting and fascinating. I recently bought a new book c