Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Algae Eaters with Identitiy Crisis

Posted By: Breann <whitemajick@juno.com>
Date: Monday, 25 January 1999, at 1:11 a.m.

I know I write alot of "behavioral" type messages (questions etc.)But I'm quite worried about my African Algae Eaters... one in particular. Now everyone who has these creatures know they aren't really active fish... although if startled may dart quickly across the aquarium. Now my Kuhlis (we've all heard me talk about them)are quite active when they choose to come out from hiding... ie. swimming up and down my tank very rapidly as in aerobic exersise classes. My smaller Algae Eater has just started joining them (the Kuhlis) in thier evening romp. At first I thought he was chasing them (my Algae Eaters are sometimes aggressive fish)... but he wasn't, he was playing as though he was a Kuhli. I don't know if I should be worried about my Algae Eater doing this... he is, I believe, some kind of loach... but this strange behavior is definitely Kuhli. My other Algae Eater doesn't do this. Should I take my Algae Eater out and put him in another tank till he learns he's not a Kuhli?? Is this activity strenous on a fish that isnt made for this kind of "swimming"? Or is it just harmless fun? Does anyone else have fishes with identity problems? I've heard of these things happening with dogs and such... but my loaches aren't dogs(or else I'd take them for walks around my neighborhood, and probably get mugged)I don't know. Am I too nervous about my fish?

Messages In This Thread