Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Clown Loach Sizes

Posted By: Nomad <ccow@dclchem.com>
Date: Tuesday, 26 January 1999, at 11:07 a.m.

I bought three clown loaches about 3 months ago. They were all purchased from the same tank and were all tiny, maybe 1" long if one was being generous. Now, one has hardly grown at all, one is about 2" and one is about 2 1/2" long. Any ideas in what causes this differential growth in these fish? All are very active and are eating well. One anomally is that the largest did have a near death experience... he'd hidden in a cave inside a piece of driftwood (about 3 weeks after I got them) that I took out when I was cleaning the tank. At least half an hour later, when I was putting everything back in, I finally saw him lying on the carpet (very well camoflaged). At the time, I thought he was a goner, and picked him up gingerly with a spoon that I had been using, and put him in the bucket of clean water that I was about to dump back in the tank. I maved him back and forth to force water through his gills, removed most of the threads and cat hair that were stuck to him, and watched as he spiraled to the bottom. I kept at this for awhile, then added him back to the main tank, where he sank and lay on his side, barely breathing, for over half an hour. Next day, he was swimming, and had a white patch on his back (presumably dried skin, it cleared up after a few days). Since this incident, he's not only been healthy, but growing very fast, and has also maintained his title as king of the loaches. I don't think I should try repeating this project with the smallest fish to see if it encourages growth :) Any suggestions/comments to this observation?

Messages In This Thread