Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: Party Pooper II.......Judgement Day

Posted By: Martin Thoene <martin.thoene@lakenheath.af.mil>
Date: Saturday, 6 February 1999, at 2:31 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Party Pooper (Ken Childs)

Ha Ha! Ken.......I've been sitting here waiting with baited breath for you to come and bring everyone back to earth. Having worked for 2 years in an Importers I know the realities of fish import and the true costs,although my knowledge isn't current. My day would always start with going round removing dead fish from the stock tanks. Usually about half a bucket a day....that's dead, unsaleable casualties. Kuhlis particularly, come densely packed. Water is weight, weight is freight, freight costs money, and the fish need oxygen more than water, so the water? kuhli density is pretty thick. Kuhlis are slimey little critters and any flight delays or airport holdups can result in compromising this delicate packaging balance to the point that after a certain time of transit, excretion and slime production turn the fish-bag into a soupy yucky mess. The weaker fish succumb to this, and others may follow several days later. To cut down on excretion and therefore pollution the fish are not fed for quite a while before shipping, so are somewhat weakened anyway. In my experience most importers can claim for DOA's from the exporter, but fatalities after delivery are carried by the importer. Then the importer has to care for the fish. Feeding, changing water, etc. Staff do this and have to be paid. Then the fish go to the retailer and the same process happens again. Therefore, 4c kuhlis (at source) cost you and me at the retail end far more, because that face value at source bears no relationship to all the costs involved in order to get the fish into the little baggie you take so joyfully home.

Ken, here's your soapbox back!............................................Martin.

Messages In This Thread