Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Sex and the single kuhli

Posted By: Cinder <lhughes@prodigy.net>
Date: Tuesday, 16 February 1999, at 2:14 a.m.

Well ok, this isn't exactly about that, but it is in a roundabout way :-)

I have had a single kuhli loach, Coolio, in a 10 gal community tank for more than a yr. He is a great fish -- outgoing, active at all times of the day, swims at all levels of the tank. I would like to buy a couple more kuhlis to keep him company, but have heard several times that when adding new kuhlis, the old, apparently healty one or the new one die.

I am a total believer that loaches should be kept in groups of their own kind, at least 3 if possible. In another tank, I have a happy group of 3 kuhlis. However, altho I would really like to get another couple of kuhlis to keep Coolio company, I have read numerous posts (not necessarily on this forum) about people who add a new kuhli and either the new one or the original one dies. I really have read several instances of this.

I would like to find Coolio some company, but not at the expense of losing him. Have any of you ever experienced this with kuhlis? I have not with any of the botia species. I can think of several reasons why this might occur: conditions of the store where bought, general health of the new fish, different collecting locations with attendent different internal parasites, flora, etc. But this could happen with any new fish, right? So, what is it with kuhlis?

Sorry for the long post. I would like to make Coolio happy, but I dont want to put him at risk. If anyone has any advice to offer, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks, Cinder

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.