Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: Pleco Problems

Posted By: Martin Thoene <martin.thoene@lakenheath.af.mil>
Date: Thursday, 18 February 1999, at 8:36 p.m.

In Response To: Pleco Problems (J)

J, I've seen exactly this kind of thing happen with Plecos before in dealers tanks. This "whitefilm" thing seems to hit them hard. As you say you bought "some" Plecs, I'll assume that they were the regular, common, cheap variety that are bred in enourmous numbers for aquaria in the Far-East and I believe Florida. These are usually Hypostomus sp. Alternatively, the other commonly seen one is Pterygoblichthys gibbiceps, which has large spots all over, and a very large dorsal fin. These produce a lot of waste and for this reason are starved before shipping.This seriously weakens them, and many succomb to secondary infections because of their debilitation. Whatever this film thing is it's fairly common. Never buy Plecs with hollow bellies or sunken eyes, they'll probably die. Both these species grow large and quick, so produce more waste than the good they do for any algae problem. You definitely won't need several, unless you've lots of tanks. There are far better species around that will eat algae far more efficiently with less waste production and more maneagable size. It all depends on what else you keep, and how your tank(s) is set up (ie plants, etc), as to which species might help. What kind of algae problem do you have?

Martin.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg |