Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

autopsy

Posted By: hyp <hypancis@aol.com>
Date: Saturday, 20 February 1999, at 6:50 p.m.

does anyone every do autopsies on there fish when they have died with no outward signs of a problem.I do-sadly today my goldnugget pleco died-having spent 30 on it-and it only lasting 3 months-and wanted to know why it died-the only thing you could tell was it's stomach was very sunken-this was odd as up until last week it was feeding very well on potato etc-and now its dead-so out came the tweezers,knife and scissors-and out came the gills and two suspiceous round small golden coloured lumps-these were all put in a tub of water to check later-then the body cavity was opened and out came all the internal organs-now I know as little as anyone else as regards organs-but I noticed strange white things through the wall of the intestine-so these sections were removed-to check. when I looked in the water tub-I got a big suprise-there was a LIFE FORM-a worm/fluke type thing almost 1cm in length-this had come from one of the golden balls-it was gross-anyway when my eyes focused on the intestine-something was moving-another of these nasties-I presume the other white bits were imature parasites also.Iam now pretty convinced that this caused my fish to die-as even though it was eating the parasites were taking everything-and god knows what damage they were doing.I had tried to treat the fish with sterazin as a final resort-but the fish was just to weak.has anyone else found this product gets bad reactions when used on plecs.

Messages In This Thread

<