Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Gravel Gravel Everywhere...

Posted By: Craig D'Orsay <craigd@attcanada.net>
Date: Saturday, 6 March 1999, at 2:19 a.m.

Hey folks, I need to change the gravel in my established, and inhabited 33gal tank with an UGF. What would be the best method to accomplish this? Partial changes over a period of time, say half one week, half the next? Should I remove the fish as not to totally stress them out (or might removing them for a day or week stress them more?). Aaargh. This should be an easy decision, but there are too many 'maybes' in my mind. Halp! :)

Craig

Oh, I am also considering using large diameter sand (still smaller than gravel) for the portion of the tank that is not covered by the UGF, figured I'd lay some fiberglass fly screening (for windows; no, not 95 ;) over half or all of the UGF plates as they become exposed when changing the gravel, my theory is that if the sand is large eno