Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: Breeding Uaru

Posted By: Stuart
Date: Wednesday, 20 May 1998, at 7:41 p.m.

In Response To: Breeding Uaru (Philip SHum)

Philip,

We kept Uarus at one point. I had read that they were much like Discus but after keeping them, I didn't think so. These guys were pigs! They ate everything in site and were the messiest fish I have kept to date. They grew extremely fast and were quite fun to watch. It was difficult to keep the tank clean with their messy eating habits and we ended up getting rid of them since we already had too many tanks to care for. The owner of the pet shop we took them to was thrilled to get them.

We didn't try breeding them, although I do remember that there was an article in an old TFH or FAMA which might have addressed breeding habits. From what I remember, if you do want to breed Uarus, you should duplicate the same conditions that you would for Discus. The y