Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Wah! Loach eating the plants!

Posted By: Ian
Date: Thursday, 21 May 1998, at 5:19 a.m.

Well, I'm pretty sure my Botia ( if it is ) isn't hymenophylla - I found a good photo of one, the colour and head shape is all wrong. Mine's golden with red/purple bands and very strong colouration on the fins ( still striped ). It has four pairs of short barbels - two at the front and two at the back, dorsal ray count is i, 10-11 ( well you try it on a moving fish.), the head is very rounded - like a large Kuhlie but shorter and thicker in the body.

I'm used to it eating snails, and rams ( sob ), it also now swallows the sinking pellets whole which is a little worrying but it does something even odder. For a while I thought it was some of the smaller fish taking chunks out of the plants - nope, I caught it in the act. I have a Barclaya which WAS flowering, the loach spent 3 hours non stop last night diassembling the bud - taking hold of the bracts ripping them off, chewing and swallowin