Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

HUGE/OLD Clown Loaches in Sacramento

Posted By: Stuart
Date: Tuesday, 26 May 1998, at 4:39 p.m.

FACT OR FICTION???

I live in Portland, OR and was in a local fish store talking to the owner(?) about clown loaches. He told me that in Sacramento, CA there was a pet shop with a couple of 50 year old clown loaches which by his hand spread would be approaching 18 inches long. Is there anyone in Sacramento which can confirm this? He also told me that there was a place in Reno, Nevada which had some 40 year old clown loaches which were almost as big. Anyone in Reno that can confirm?

On another subject he told me that Clown Loaches can withstand sea water for up to 3 days. He said that this is the way that they get from one river to another. Is there anyone that has heard of this?

All the literature I have read says that clown loaches can live up to 20 years. I know that loaches are related to carp which are said to be able to live for centuries, so I guess that it cou