Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: The fool can ask more questions than the wise man can answer...

Posted By: Anne <anne.webel@sg.cec.be>
Date: Friday, 19 March 1999, at 7:18 a.m.

In Response To: Re: The fool can ask more questions than the wise man can answer... (Wintek)

Regarding fish wasting away, I looked it up in my A-Z of Tropical Fish Diseases and Health Problems, it suggests in order of probability

- direct pathogenic effect of an infection such as bacterial or more rarely fungal - fish tuberculosis - heavy infestation of worms - pleistophora (parasites which infect the muscles, particularly of characins) - incorrect diet - insufficient food eg. due to chronic stress, aggression, food offered stale or contaminated)

So although worms are listed, and should be preventatively treated especially new fish, I would personally deem it unlikely that a fish which has been kept already several months would have such an infestation, given the life cycle of 'normal' worms. After all, they usually need a bird and snails as a vector. So even if one fish was purchased with worms, it would be difficult to infect the others in the tank. Are there any 'bulges' which would support the worm theory? How easy is it to get the suggested medication? (Here in Europe I doubt very much if I could just walk into a chemist and ask for it.) Are all the other fish still fine? Could it be that a little TLC (tender loving care) would effect a cure?

Thats just my opinion obviously,

Anne

Messages In This Thread

View Thread |