Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Hot Pepper Base Ich Cure? Wha? (Long Msg)

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@wans.net>
Date: Friday, 19 March 1999, at 11:55 p.m.

No joke!

I've finally got a break in my schedule the past couple of days, so I've been catching up on my reading. In the January issue of FAMA (Freshwater And Marine Aquarium) magazine, I read an article on page 144 by Sandy Cohen titled "New Innovations in Fighting Ich Safely in Freshwater, Marine, and Reef Tanks." It discusses two products: one by Kent Marine called "R&P Marine" (for marine use only), and Chem-Marin's "Stop Parasites." The latter, can be used for salt or fresh. However, they also make a pure FW version that is less expensive (the article didn't say by how much). Both are ich cures that use -- get this -- a hot pepper base! The claim of these products is that the hot pepper base will stimulate the fish to "over slime," causing many ich spots to "slough off the fish," -- providing a "false host" for the parasites to feed upon which is more desirable than the fish itself. Kent also adds a natural plant extract (which is a trade secret) which will cause the thin walls of the ich cysts to explode. The article doesn't mention if Chem-Marin's product contains the same. Both claim to be safe to use with fish in a planted aquarium.

The article discusses the disadvantages of using ich cures containing chemicals such as copper, formalin, etc. The only possible disadvantage mentioned with these products is a possible pH drop for water with little buffering capacity.

From the article: "The NEPA hazard ratings for both products are as follows: Health 0, Flammability 0, Reactivity 0. None of the ingredients in either product is listed carcinogen. They may taste worse than your mother-in-law's cooking, but they are actually edible, though eating is not recommended (like your mother-in-law's cooking). Neither product will help advance cases of ich. No product will."

Have any of you LOLers ever heard of or used these products? Curious.

If and when I get ich in my tanks again, I will use the old tried and true temperature increase. However, this gives me an option to use with cool water species.

My first reaction to this product (knee-jerk) is: "What? Hot Peppers?! No way!! Isn't this cruel?" However, I'd like to keep an open mind about this...perhaps even purchasing one of these products.

Any comments? Thanks in advance.

Joe Loach

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.