Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Levamisole Hydrochloride, right cure, too late :(

Posted By: Craig D'Orsay <craigd@attcanada.net>
Date: Saturday, 27 March 1999, at 12:38 p.m.

My sick loach surcame to his/her sickness today, I was able to get some levamisole, but in the sheep oblet form. I was able to treat the fish in a 5 gal tank, using two oblets at 184mg each to a total of 368mg, just under DrMumfish's original suggestion of 400, but well over the 100mg as suggested from 'Toado'.

I added one oblet initally, I used a cup of water from the tank, nuked it for 10 seconds, crushed the oblet, and mixed the two together to make sure the oblet was completely disolved before adding it to the tank. 4 hours later I repeated the proceedure with half of the second oblet, and again 4 hours later with the last half. The next day I did an 80% water change, and let the tank sit for two days. During this time I tried to coax the fish to eat, with blood worms, tuna, algae waffer, and even a little cheese (not much of anything, just waneted the fish to eat something). The fish was eating a little, so I was happy.

Then last night, I was contemplating starting second treatment, when I noticed the fish eating some food, then it went totally stiff, and had a seizure (just like an epileptic seizure). Not a good sign. The fish then seemed to recover, but seemed sluggish and had laboured breathing.

I got home from work tonight to find a dead fish. I ended up spending a lot of money (levamisole cost me $22, not to mention what I spent on foods and other meds) trying to keep this fish alive. Was this really necessary for a $9 fish? I'm starting to question my sanity.

Oh well, yet another learning experience. Now that I have the levamisole, I'll be sure to treat any more loaches I buy, and I know I will be buying more in the future:)

Should I treat the existing population as well, as a preventative measure, or will they be fine the way they are (at least until they start showing any signs of starving)?

Craig.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33